BBE Consulting Canada’s market offering is to engineer, collaboratively, independent ventilation and refrigeration solutions that enhance client OHS and business outcomes. We are part of a global group of consulting engineers and specialists who focus on underground mine ventilation, refrigeration, energy management, and associated health and safety. With 30 years’ experience and offices in Australia, Canada and South Africa BBE is considered a world leading services provider to the mining industry.
BBE is currently looking for an enthusiastic Senior Engineer with practical through to theoretical experience in bulk air cooling and refrigeration, typically chilled water systems, ideally in the mining sector, and preferably also knowledge in mine ventilation, to join our growing consulting team in Sudbury, ONT, Canada.
The position is primarily office-based, however, flexible work from home arrangements are available, and occasional travel to mines should be expected. The role will support BBE in delivering on concept through to detailed designs of mine refrigeration and ventilation solutions. Examples of work include fan and refrigeration/cooling system design supported through ventilation network and heat load modelling.
The size and scope of BBE’s client delivery, covering all commodities, is diverse, ranging from concept and feasibility studies for prospects, designing large green-field projects, upgrading the systems of operational mines, through to turnkey system delivery. BBE works both independently and in teams, for mining juniors through to multi-nationals world-wide. Our ventilation and refrigeration projects encompass systems analysis, modelling and optimization; systems engineering and control design; system commissioning, environmental, energy, and safety audits. You will also work with a team of experienced multi-disciplined senior and principal consultants on projects.
- Design and optimize mine refrigeration and air-cooling systems. This includes, but it is not limited to:
- Develop system design criteria, process flow diagrams (PFDs), and piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs).
- Prepare equipment lists, data sheets, material take-offs (MTOs) and technical memoranda.
- Development of Scope of Work and Technical Specifications documents.
- Liaise with and provide input to other engineering and support groups.
- Guide draftsman in 3D CAD generation and review/approve formal engineering drawings.
- Prepare and contribute to technical and commercial adjudications.
- Prepare and contribute to Basis of Estimates and develop operating and capital cost estimates.
- Determine mine heat loads and apply ventilation/cooling theories and techniques to generate safe environments.
- Undertake refrigeration and ventilation audits, performance assessments, and associated environmental surveys.
- Identify and select appropriate ventilation/cooling equipment including fans, ducting, refrigeration equipment, pumps, piping, sprays, cooling towers and contaminant scrubbing/filtration systems.
- Liaise with equipment suppliers.
- Deliver construction support, commissioning, fault-finding, and optimization support.
- Undertake short-term mine-site placements, as required, for client and project needs.
- Apply, develop, and implement standard engineering practices.
- Senior Engineer – a minimum of 5-10 years post-graduation relevant experience including practical application.
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical or chemical engineering with a solid foundation in thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid mechanics.
- Professional Engineering registration, or actively seeking registration, preferably Ontario.
- Good communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work effectively at mine sites, surface and underground and associated environments.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally.
- Valid driver’s license.
- High professional, ethical, and integrity standards.
- Canadian citizen, permanent residency, or eligibility.
- Self-sufficiency and the ability to work independently.
- Sound knowledge of project engineering and project management.
- Conversant with ASME and ASHRAE standards.
- Conversant with control and instrumentation techniques and equipment.
- Familiar with the Front-End-Loading (FEL) stages concept and the different project phases.
Beneficial Candidate Skills/Qualities:
- Ventilation simulation software experience (i.e., Ventsim, VnetPC, Vuma).
- Ability to construct Life-of-mine ventilation models and perform airflow, heat and contaminant simulations.
- Experience in other mine engineering disciplines.
- Knowledgeable in different mining methods
- Knowledge of mine atmosphere contaminant and their source and control.
- Experience in environmental monitoring.
- Recognized mine/safety training.
- Experience in mine design/mine planning software.
- Spanish/Portuguese/French language communication abilities.
This is an excellent opportunity for an engineer who enjoys technical challenges. BBE offers a competitive remuneration package, challenging and interesting work, travel, career development, and management prospects within a growing global mining consultancy.
HOW TO APPLY:
The positions available will be based in: Sudbury Ontario.
Those interested in joining this dynamic team should send their resumes along with a letter of interest to: Enquiries@BBEGroup.ca