BBE Consulting is looking for enthusiastic mining or mechanical engineers with experience in mine ventilation or mine refrigeration to join our growing consulting team in Copper Cliff, Ontario. Requirements include: university graduate with 2 years post-graduation experience (or equivalent) and a background in the underground mining industry, or equivalent experienced ventilation practitioners.
The positions are primarily office-based, however, regular travel to mines should be expected. The roles will support BBE Canada in delivering on concept through to turn-key mine ventilation and refrigeration solutions. Examples of work include long and short-term ventilation planning, ventilation network modelling, ventilation surveys and system designs, heat assessments, heat-load modelling, and cooling system design.
The size and scope of BBE’s client delivery, covering all commodities, is diverse, ranging from NI 43-101 documents for future prospects, designing large green-field projects, through to upgrading the systems of operational mines. BBE works both independently and in teams, for mining juniors through to multi-nationals. Our ventilation and refrigeration projects encompass systems analysis, modelling and optimization; systems engineering and control design; systems commissioning, environmental, energy, and safety audits. You will also have a team of senior and principal consultants to support and mentor you as appropriate.
- Develop ventilation designs in-line with sustainability considerations (safety, environment, and community) and compliance requirements (statutory, regulatory, policy, work standards).
- Produce underground mine ventilation concepts, layouts, designs, trade-offs, scenario planning, cost estimates, and execution plans.
- Identify, assess, and manage risks in order to improve reliability and performance of underground ventilation systems.
- Construct life-of-mine ventilation network models and perform airflow, heat, contaminant, blast fume and radon simulations for different mining scenarios.
- Design and optimize mine refrigeration and air cooling systems.
- Refrigeration and ventilation audits and performance assessments.
- Identify and select appropriate ventilation/cooling equipment including fans, ducting, refrigeration equipment, pumps, sprays, and contaminant scrubbing/filtration systems.
- Liaise with equipment suppliers.
- Undertake site visits to perform primary/secondary ventilation and environmental surveys.
- Deliver commissioning, fault-finding, and optimization support.
- Provide advice and guidance regarding ventilation related requirements to assist mines with meeting their statutory and health and safety obligations.
- Undertake short-term mine-site placements, as required, for client and project needs.
- Apply, develop, and implement standard engineering practices.
- Apply mine ventilation/cooling theories and techniques.
- Develop proposals, prepare presentations, and produce detailed delivery documentation.
- Junior Engineer – a minimum of 2 years post-graduation relevant experience.
- Intermediate/Senior Engineer – a minimum of 10 years post-graduation experience practicing mine ventilation/cooling system design.
- Longer appropriate mine ventilation expertise and certifications will be considered in lieu of an appropriate Bachelor’s degree.
Ideal Candidate Skills/Qualities:
- A bachelor degree in mining/mechanical engineering with a specialty in fluid mechanics or mine ventilation or mine/industrial refrigeration.
- Professional Engineer status in Ontario (or eligibility).
- Underground mine ventilation and/or refrigeration experience.
- Good communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work effectively in underground mines and associated environments both within and outside Canada.
- Willingness to travel, stay at fly-in/fly-out camps.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ventilation simulation software experience (i.e. Ventsim, VnetPC, Vuma).
- High professional, ethical, and integrity standards.
- Canadian residency or eligibility.
- Self-sufficiency and the ability to work independently
- Comfortable speaking in public
Beneficial Candidate Skills/Qualities:
- Second language proficiency (read, write, spoken): French or Spanish.
- Experience in other mine engineering disciplines.
- Experience in system control and environmental monitoring.
- Project management experience.
- Recognized mine/safety training (e.g. NORCAT, WHMIS, First Aid/CPR).
- Experience in mine design/mine planning software.
- CAD Skills.
- CFD modelling experience
This is an excellent opportunity which offers a competitive remuneration package, challenging and interesting work, travel, career development, and management prospects within a growing global mining consultancy.
The positions available will be based in: Sudbury Ontario.
The closing date for applications is: June 30th 2018.
Those interested in joining this dynamic team should send their resumes along with a letter of interest to: Enquiries@BBEGroup.ca