BBE Consulting is always looking for enthusiastic mining or mechanical engineers with experience in mine ventilation or mine refrigeration to join our growing consulting team in Copper Cliff, Ontario. Requirements include: university graduate with 2 years post-graduation experience (or equivalent) and a background in the underground mining industry, or equivalent experienced ventilation practitioners.
The positions are primarily office-based, however, regular travel to mines should be expected. The roles will support BBE Canada in delivering on concept through to turn-key mine ventilation and refrigeration solutions. Examples of work include long and short-term ventilation planning, ventilation network modelling, ventilation surveys and system designs, heat assessments, heat-load modelling, and cooling system design.
The size and scope of BBE’s client delivery, covering all commodities, is diverse, ranging from NI 43-101 documents for future prospects, designing large green-field projects, through to upgrading the systems of operational mines. BBE works both independently and in teams, for mining juniors through to multi-nationals. Our ventilation and refrigeration projects encompass systems analysis, modelling and optimization; systems engineering and control design; systems commissioning, environmental, energy, and safety audits. You will also have a team of senior and principal consultants to support and mentor you as appropriate.
- Develop ventilation designs in-line with sustainability considerations (safety, environment, and community) and compliance requirements (statutory, regulatory, policy, work standards).
- Produce underground mine ventilation concepts, layouts, designs, trade-offs, scenario planning, cost estimates, and execution plans.
- Identify, assess, and manage risks in order to improve reliability and performance of underground ventilation systems.
- Construct life-of-mine ventilation network models and perform airflow, heat, contaminant, blast fume and radon simulations for different mining scenarios.
- Design and optimize mine refrigeration and air cooling systems.
- Refrigeration and ventilation audits and performance assessments.
- Identify and select appropriate ventilation/cooling equipment including fans, ducting, refrigeration equipment, pumps, sprays, and contaminant scrubbing/filtration systems.
- Liaise with equipment suppliers.
- Undertake site visits to perform primary/secondary ventilation and environmental surveys.
- Deliver commissioning, fault-finding, and optimization support.
- Provide advice and guidance regarding ventilation related requirements to assist mines with meeting their statutory and health and safety obligations.
- Undertake short-term mine-site placements, as required, for client and project needs.
- Apply, develop, and implement standard engineering practices.
- Apply mine ventilation/cooling theories and techniques.
- Develop proposals, prepare presentations, and produce detailed delivery documentation.
- Junior Engineer – a minimum of 2 years post-graduation relevant experience.
- Intermediate/Senior Engineer – a minimum of 10 years post-graduation experience practicing mine ventilation/cooling system design.
- Longer appropriate mine ventilation expertise and certifications will be considered in lieu of an appropriate Bachelor’s degree.
Ideal Candidate Skills/Qualities:
- A bachelor degree in mining/mechanical engineering with a specialty in fluid mechanics or mine ventilation or mine/industrial refrigeration.
- Professional Engineer status in Ontario (or eligibility).
- Underground mine ventilation and/or refrigeration experience.
- Good communication skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work effectively in underground mines and associated environments both within and outside Canada.
- Willingness to travel, stay at fly-in/fly-out camps.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ventilation simulation software experience (i.e. Ventsim, VnetPC, Vuma).
- High professional, ethical, and integrity standards.
- Canadian residency or eligibility.
- Self-sufficiency and the ability to work independently
- Comfortable speaking in public
Beneficial Candidate Skills/Qualities:
- Second language proficiency (read, write, spoken): French or Spanish.
- Experience in other mine engineering disciplines.
- Experience in system control and environmental monitoring.
- Project management experience.
- Recognized mine/safety training (e.g. NORCAT, WHMIS, First Aid/CPR).
- Experience in mine design/mine planning software.
- CAD Skills.
- CFD modelling experience
This is an excellent opportunity which offers a competitive remuneration package, challenging and interesting work, travel, career development, and management prospects within a growing global mining consultancy.
The positions available will be based in: Sudbury Ontario.
The closing date for applications is: Always open.
Those interested in joining this dynamic team should send their resumes along with a letter of interest to: Enquiries@BBEGroup.ca